Your Authentic Tuscan Experience Off the Beaten Path
The church of San Domenico is one of the most famous sacred buildings of Arezzo for the presence , inside the wooden crucifix painted by Cimabue, considered one of the masterpieces of the thirteenth century , dating from the late sixties . In January 1276, in the place where it was still under construction , the Church of San Domenico was home to what the Church of Rome was the first Conclave of the story.
The church, in the Gothic style , was begun in 1275 and finished in the fourteenth century. Its construction concurred financial contributions of families and Ubertini Tarlati . The asymmetrical façade , brickwork , also includes the bell tower with two bells.
The interior roof truss has a single nave , which is lit by mullioned windows 12 (6 per side) whose mutual distance decreases as you approach the apse , thus giving a greater sense of depth to the classroom
The pictorial decoration of internal fourteenth century , is still well documented.
It's mature work (1395-1400) by Spinello Aretino fresco with Saints Philip and James the Less and stories of their lives and of St. Catherine, on the inner wall of the facade. Son Parri di Spinello is the Crucifixion with Saints , on the right side of the inner wall of the façade to the right of the Crucifix depicts the Virgin and St. Nicholas and to the left of Saints John and Dominic.
The chapel Dragomanni family in whose arms appeared a dragon, has a Gothic structure with black stone altar carved by Giovanni Francesco da Firenze ( 1368 ) and with fresco depicting Jesus teenager who converses with the doctors in the Temple, near Siena , Luca di Tomme .
In a niche and a glazed terracotta by Giovanni Girolamo della Robbia , built between 1515 and 1520 represents St. Peter of Verona .
In the chapel on the left triptych by Giovanni d'Agnolo , the altar is at the center of the Archangel Michael , to his right (left for the viewer) San Domenico , and his left Sao Paulo.
In the chapel on the right , where the Eucharist is kept , a Madonna and Child in stone, an anonymous work of the Arezzo area , part of a time series of sculptures from 1339 decorated the ten gates of the city walls , hospitalized here to remove it from the degradation caused by exposure to the elements.
The church was buried Renaissance painter Nicholas Soggi , mentioned by Vasari in his Lives of ' Most Excellent Painters, Sculptors, and Architects