(40 km - 50 min) The town of Lucignano rises on a hill 400 meters above sea level , 28 km south - west of Arezzo . The communal area , in the heart of the Chiana Valley , is bordered by the towns of Monte San Savino north , Marciano della Chiana Foiano della Chiana in the east, south and Sinalunga Rapolano Terme west (the latter two in the province of Siena ) .
Monuments and places of interest
- The Church of St. Blaise, built on the site of the old parish church of San Felice (1016), which remains today the bell tower;
- The Praetorian Palace (XII century), currently used as the town hall;
- The Church of San Francesco (XIII century), in Gothic style, its interior is decorated with frescoes by Sienese artists of the fourteenth and fifteenth century including Taddeo di Bartolo and Bartolo di Fredi. Significant is the scene, on the right wall of the nave, with The Triumph of Death;
- La Rocca Senese (XIV century), an imposing building designed by Bartolo Bartoli and built under the domination of Siena in the north-east of the city; Medici fortress, whose construction is attributed to Bernardo Puccini;
- The Church of St. Joseph (1470); The Sanctuary of Our Lady of the Oaks (1568), located outside the walls and attributed to Giorgio Vasari;
- The Convent of the Capuchin Fathers (1580);
- The Church of the Annunciation or of Mercy (1582), decorated in the Renaissance style;
- The Collegiate Church of St. Michael the Archangel (1582), built and designed by Orazio Porta in the sixteenth century, in the shape of a Latin cross. There are works of artists of the sixteenth and seventeenth century including Giacinto Gimignani and Matteo Rosselli and a fine Baroque altar marble designed by Andrea Pozzo and a beautiful wooden crucifix of the fourteenth century;
- The Municipal Museum, which houses valuable works from the thirteenth century to the eighteenth century (including two paintings, St. Francis receiving the stigmata and the Madonna and Child, attributed to Luca Signorelli) and the beautiful Golden tree (also known as tree of life or simply tree Lucignano). The latter is a reliquary (about 2.60 m tall), built between 1350 and 1471, by Ugolino da Vieri and Gabriel D'Antonio and from the Church of San Francesco. From the central stem, placed on a shrine in temple gothic three-story shed twelve branches (six on each side), all topped with a crucifix and a pelican. The branches are covered with leaves and decorated small reliquary caskets in which quotes are medallions that once were collecting miniatures and rock crystals, surrounded by coral branches to represent the blood of Christ;
- The city wall, which borders the city on mo 'ellipse and which passes through the two ports of Saint John and Saint Just, both made in 1371 (while a third door, which was also built in 1371, was subsequently closed , taking the name of Porta Murata, it was recently reopened to visitors).